Location: Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
Event: The DRC Ministry of Health confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the DRC.
The government of the DRC has implemented measures to limit the spread of COVID-19. Schools and universities are closed until April 17, sporting events in stadiums and gyms are suspended, gatherings and celebrations larger than 20 people are banned, and bars and restaurants are closed until further notice.
The government of the DRC has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. U.S. citizens who are considering returning to the United States are urged to work with their airlines to make travel arrangements while flights are still available. Effective March 20, the DRC has barred all flights arriving from unspecified “high-risk countries.” Only cargo flights and boats will be permitted entry.
U.S. citizens who are considering returning to the United States are urged to work with their airlines to make travel arrangements while flights are still available.
All travelers entering the DRC who have a fever will be tested, and any persons positive for COVID-19 will be hospitalized at DRC government expense. Both categories will be subject to a mandatory 14-day quarantine. All persons traveling domestically from Kinshasa to other provinces will be subject to preventative screening.
On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure from any diplomatic or consular post in the world of US personnel and family members who have been medically determined to be at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19.
Effective March 17, U.S. Embassy Kinshasa has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information.
Actions to Take
- Visit the U.S. Embassy’s Medical Assistance page to find medical provider information in the DRC.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in the DRC.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo
310 Avenue des Aviateurs, Kinshasa/Gombe
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Democratic Republic of Congo Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.